By: Brandon Ramsey
A hot start by Travis Woods had Muncie Central hanging with Hamilton Southeastern, unfortunately for the Bearcats that only lasted about 6 minutes. Zak Irvin scored 14 points in the opening quarter to answer Woods, and the Royals never allowed the game to get very close the rest of the way. HSE outscored Muncie Central 23-9 in the 3rd quarter to put them ahead 58-31. The Royals sat their starters the entire 4th quarter and ended up with a 70-44 victory.
Zak Irvin scored a game high 23 points in just 3 quarters of play. He also had 5 rebounds. Paul Furlin and Tyler Jenkins were both in double-figures with 12 and 10 points respectively.
Muncie Central was led by Travis Wood with 19 points. Jabriel Allen added 15 points and 5 rebounds.
- Travis Woods: 6’4” Shooting Guard, Muncie Central H.S. (2013) I have been high on him for awhile. I love his athleticism and length. Travis is a versatile scorer than can take the ball to the rim off the dribble and also knock down some perimeter shots. He is an under-the-radar low-major prospect, but will most likely be going the JUCO/Prep route.
- Jabriel Allen: 6’4” Shooting Guard, Muncie Central H.S. (2013) Jabriel was very impressive tonight. He is very strong, handles the ball well, and can get to the rim off the dribble. His perimeter shot looked pretty good as well. With his offensive skills and strength he will transition well to the next level. Still has some good upside too. Sleeper low-major prospect.
- Paul Furlin: 6’1” Point Guard, Hamilton Southeastern H.S. (2013) Solid all-around point guard. Paul shoots the 3-ball well and is a very good passer. Plays with a high basketball IQ. Good Division III prospect.
- Zak Irvin: 6’7” Shooting Guard, Hamilton Southeastern H.S. (2013) I just love watching him play. He is the best Senior in the state and I don’t think it is even that close. At 6’7”, he can shoot the lights out, handle the ball well, and really gets after it defensively. I really don’t see how he isn’t ranked higher by some national scouting service. He is the total package. Will be great at Michigan.
- Tyler Jenkins: 6’2” Shooting Guard, Hamilton Southeastern H.S. (2014) I hate the term “combo-guard”, but that is what Tyler is. He handles the ball pretty well, but is a scorer at heart. He shoots the ball pretty well and does a very good job of creating off the dribble. I have always been a little hot and cold with him. He is so aggressive with the ball, which I generally like, but he can force the action a bit at times. Low-major prospect.
- Eric Davidson: 6’1” Point Guard, Hamilton Southeastern H.S. (2014) Eric is a solid player. He shoots the ball well and is a good passer with court vision. Another high IQ player for HSE. He isn’t going to jump off the court at you with athleticism or size, but just does a lot of things well. A good one for small colleges to get after.
- Larry Johnson: 6’7” Center, Hamilton Southeastern H.S. (2013) Played very limited minutes. I love his potential. Long, athletic, active on the glass. Can finish at the rim. Has quite a bit of JUCO interest.